Passengers fly into Minangkabau International Airport in Padang, West Sumatera (airport code: PDG) and should arrive on the first day of their scheduled charter dates (for example, if your trip is April 11-24, you should arrive in Padang on the 11th) and we recommend overnight stays be done in Singapore, KL, Bali, Jakarta etc and arrive in Padang on the first day of your charter.
A Visa is required on arrival into Indonesia (temporary travel visa) – there is no longer a cost for this Visa.
NOTE – To exit arrival area you must show your ‘luggage slips’ for your luggage.
You may use the porter service with the normal “tip” is around Rp 20,000 or you can collect your luggage yourself and go outside where you will be met by Pelagic ground agent who will take you and your baggage to the transfer vehicle and will transfer you, your luggage and your group either directly to the Pelagic, or a meeting place, if you are waiting for others to arrive on later flights.
Once you are met by the Pelagic crew please relax and let them take care of all your needs.
Check in time to Pelagic is 2pm and check out time is 10am with the Pelagic scheduled to leave Padang late afternoon on your arrival date.
You will travel overnight and arrive for the ‘early session’ the next morning at a chosen break.
Mentawai Government Tax
The Mentawai Government has introduced a Tax for surfing in Mentawai Islands as of 1st August 2016 and applies to all surfers both on land or boat – 1.000.000 IDR per 15 days (approx.$100).
This Tax must be paid before you surf at the first break – it can be paid directly in the Mentawais however this would restrict your travel route and take up valuable time therefore the Charter Boat Association has set up an office in Padang for the payment of this Tax for all charter boat guests for an additional administration fee of 150.000 (approx. $15)
Pelagic ground crew will collect the 1.150.000 (approx. $115) from you upon landing in Padang, process the paperwork and supply you with “Tickets and wrist bands” required.
NOTE – these fees are passed directly to Mentawai Government and AKSSB Boat Association and Pelagic Surf Charters holds no responsibility.
A copy of the document is below (translated by others) for your information – www.mentawai-travel.com
The boat will return in the early morning of the last day of the charter and guests should plan to fly out that day – for example: if your charter dates are April 11-24 :
- Arrive in Padang on the 11th.
- The boat will depart in the afternoon or early evening on the 11th, when all passengers have arrived.
- The boat will return to Padang harbor either the night of the 23rd or early morning on the 24th.
- After breakfast (on the 24th), you will be transferred to Padang airport to catch your departing flight.
Ground transportation will be provided from the Pelagic back to Padang airport.
NOTE – Exit Tax upon departure from Indonesia is no longer required.
DRUGS – the use of illegal drugs whilst travelling on the Pelagic is prohibited and will result in the immediate terminate of your charter.
Police are actively searching surf charter boats for drugs and if found will confiscate the Pelagic and jail all onboard. We therefore have a zero tolerance and will offload all guests at the nearest port should drugs be found onboard.
What to Bring
In addition to all the usual items (surf gear and personal items), there are a few important things to remember:
- Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months beyond intended departure from Indonesia)
- Copy of passport – which will be needed during the trip
- Airline ticket.
- Copy of Airline ticket.
- CREDIT CARD for any emergency payments required
- US cash for arrival and departure tax (new bills)
- Indonesian Rupiah for porters, departure tax and souvenir purchases from local villagers
- Travel insurance documents
- Any medication you may need or that your doctor recommends for traveling to Indonesia
- A small personal first-aid kit to help make and keep small cuts clean